In 1807 the original group of Christians that would become Waynesville United Methodist Church met at the cabin of Widow Smith, about 1.5 miles south of the village. The services were led by people called “Circuit Riders” who traveled to different locations to preach. As the group of Methodist Christians grew, they met at various home throughout the village, including a small brick church (20ft. x 24ft.) built on Water Street. Then in 1840 the first building specifically for this church was built on “Upper North Street” for only $1400. That church faithfully served the people of Waynesville unitl 1914 which at the point the congregation had outgrown the building. This is when the original church building was torn down to make way for the building that is now Waynesville United Methodist Church.
During the last 200+ years, this church has seen many changes, but the mission remains the same as during the days of the circuit riders: to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.